There’s a time and place for loud colors and lively patterns, but a black swimsuit feels right, well, all of the time. It’s versatile, endlessly flattering, and communicates a sort of nonchalant elegance that’s tough to beat. And we’re not talking about your boring, run-of-the-mill swimsuit. Rather, the best picks run the gamut in terms of design details, such as unique necklines, clever cutouts, and interesting textures (think: ruching or seersucker fabrics).
The Best Black Swimsuits
- The Classic One-Piece: Eres Les Essentiels Asia swimsuit, $435
- The Scalloped Bikini: Marysia Broadway top and Mott briefs, $312
- The Retro Hourglass Suit: Solid & Striped Veronica one-piece swimsuit, $228
- The Full Coverage 2-Piece: Cuup balconette and high-waist bottom, $178
- The Strappy Tankini: The Attico crossed straps bikini set, $390
- The Minimalist One-Piece: Cuyana, Vanessa Sposi Le Classique swimsuit, $198
- The Sheer Panels: Fisch Lucia stretch-econyl swimsuit, $310
With warmer days on the horizon, now is the time to secure a staple black swimsuit. If you prefer a one-piece, look to brands such as Toteme and Anemos for modern riffs on this classic silhouette. For those who lean toward the bikini, options abound. There are minimalist standouts from labels like Hunza G and Araks (slim straps, straight lines, and so on) while on the other end of the spectrum, you can take your pick from eye-catching details such as scalloped hems from Marysia or asymmetrical necklines à la Nensi Dojaka.
Whatever your interpretation of what constitutes the perfect black swimsuit, each of the 24 picks ahead offers a stylish excuse to spend a day in the summer sun.